Delmarva Chicken Association (DCA) the 1,600-member trade organization working for the benefit of the Delmarva chicken community is hiring an Agriculture Conservation Specialist. This position will work closely with chicken growers and other members in implementing beneficial conservation practices, including but not limited to vegetative environmental buffers (VEBs), pollinators and other comprehensive nutrient management protections. The position will offer technical assistance and resources to help members and build upon DCA’s mission to be an innovator in conservation practices.
A minimum Bachelor’s degree in agriculture, natural resources, environmental science, plant sciences or a related field and a minimum of five year’s work experience is required. DCA offers salary commensurate with experience, plus health, vision, dental, life and disability insurance, retirement plan contributions, paid holidays, paid vacation and sick leave. For more information, visit www.dcachicken.com or call 302-856-9037. To apply, please send a resume and cover letter to Holly Porter at email@example.com or mail to 16686 County Seat Highway, Georgetown, DE 19947 postmarked by November 30, 2021.
Agriculture Conservation Specialist
Position: The objective of this position is to work closely with chicken growers in helping to implement beneficial conservation practices, including but not limited to vegetative environmental buffers, pollinators and other nutrient management protections on chicken farms and other stakeholders throughout the Delmarva Peninsula. The position will offer technical assistance and resources to Delmarva Chicken Association members and build upon DCA’s mission to be a premier membership association that is innovative and leading the nation conservation practices.
Reports to: Executive Director
Outreach to Growers and Stakeholders
- Build and manage relationships that involves growers, poultry company personnel, university extension employees, staff with county conservation districts, staff at USDA Natural Resources and Conservation Services, state and federal environmental and agricultural agencies and other stakeholders.
- Working individually with landowners on various projects.
- Develop and maintain educational materials, including but not limited to manuals, tutorials, presentations, articles, videos, etc. for stakeholders
- Develop and update reporting and/or documentation of outreach.
- Coordinate agriculture conservation projects such as buffers, pollinators or other best management practices from concept to completion, including landowner engagement, partnership facilitation, planning, designing, budgeting and ensuring long-term success
- Maintain a list of vendors that can provide essential services, such as planting trees, designing and installing irrigation systems, implementing weed and pest management programs, and other conservation practices, etc.
- Help/oversee draft bid specifications, secure planting contractors and monitor job performance.
- Work with university and government partners to develop and research techniques that documents the environmental impact of conservation practices on chicken farms
- Develop and update reporting and/or documentation of technical assistance, including number of trees, shrubs, seeds or grasses planted annually.
- Seek out opportunities and collaborate or write grant proposals to secure project funding through state, federal and other conservation programs to expand the impact for both growers and for DCA.
- Maintain a comprehensive list that includes contacts and cost-share eligibility requirements as a resource tool.
- Help growers locate and obtain cost-share funds.
Other Duties and Requirements
- Manage office administrative tasks and other tasks as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in agriculture, natural resources, environmental science, plant sciences or a related field and a minimum of five year’s work experience in a related field.
- Experience with agricultural conservation practices, plant materials, especially those native and non-invasive to the Delmarva peninsula, installation and maintenance procedures, irrigation systems, and soil types.
- Experience working with farmers or landowners and conducting outreach in support of agricultural best management practices.
- Knowledge of the chicken industry is not required, but preferred.
- Status as a Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) technical service provider is encouraged, but not essential.
- Knowledge of state and federal agricultural programs and funding preferred.
- Excellent communications skills, both written and oral.
- Strong interpersonal skills to effectively cultivate relationships and communicate with a diverse chicken grower population.
- Strong ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Experience in writing and/or implementing grants.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs, including Outlook, Word, Excel and Powerpoint.
- Must have/maintain a dependable vehicle with proof of license and insurance.
Job requires some lifting and moving of objects such as plants, boxes or files up to 50 pounds. Job will require visiting grower farms and working outdoors in all weather.
The position will be based out of the DCA office located in Georgetown, DE, with remote work expected throughout all of the Delmarva peninsula during regular business hours. Some occasional work could be required on nights and weekends. Candidate must have a valid drivers’ license and use his/her own automobile for association travel, that may involve up to 15,000 miles per year. Mileage reimbursement will be provided. Some overnight travel might be required. The position is exempt and overtime compensation will not be offered after 40 hours per week. During emergency situations that affect the chicken industry, the coordinator may be asked to assist with emergency responses.
Compensation & Employee Benefits
Salary is commensurate with experience and is structed with minimal base. Benefits include health, dental, vision, life and disability insurance; pension plan contributions, holiday, vacation and sick leave pay.
To download this job description as a PDF, click here.